Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Please Stop Yelling

I've never seen myself as someone who gets angry easily, or who likes to yell. But now that I have 3 kids there is always someone who is misbehaving, someone who is disobeying what I say, someone making a mess, and someone who is not paying attention. And I am embarrassed to tell you this, but sometimes I yell at them.

I would like to make excuses. I would like to blame it on not getting enough sleep. I would like to say that our living room gets so loud with 3 kids, that I have to yell for them to be able to hear me. 

But I don't have to yell. I wish I could explain why I get so angry with these children that are so precious and adorable. I know that yelling is not what they need from me. They need love and hugs, they need clear warnings and consistent punishments. Then need a good example to follow.

My husband and I have been talking lately about how we can both learn to stop yelling. We have decided first to pray more. And second we are trying to tell our kids clearly what they need to do, and if they do not  do it, then we quickly give them a time-out. We are trying to deal with problems more quickly, instead of letting them go on and on which gets us more angry and apt to yell. 

So far I think my husband is doing better than me, but I am not going to give up. My kids need me to do better. I want to be a mom with lots of love and patience, who can discipline quickly and consistently. I want my kids to learn to listen and obey when I speak quietly. And I want my kids to see Jesus in me. 

No comments: