Thursday, June 19, 2014

Potty Training

Kaitlyn is almost 4 years old and I have been starting to worry about her not being potty trained yet. The last few years I have told myself that she will potty train when she is ready, and that I don't want to spend countless hours trying to push her into something she is not ready for. I have seen friends work so hard and get so frustrated with their kids when it just doesn't work.

But now that the 4th birthday is coming, I have been starting to wonder. Maybe I should be pushing more? What are other people going to think? What is our pediatrician going to say at our annual check up? Is she going to be able to attend activities in the fall that require being potty trained? So I decided that when summer started and our schedule was pretty clear we would try again.

About two weeks before I was thinking about starting I happened to be at Target and decided to look for some candy to use for rewards. I got a big bag of suckers. You know, those tiny dumbbell ones? It didn't take long for Kaitlyn to find them in a bag in my room. "I want candy!" she told me. I told her she had to go pee-pee on the potty to get the candy. Now, I had tried this candy trick several months earlier and it didn't work at all. But this time Kaitlyn stripped off her pants and diaper and took off for the bathroom. She sat in the bathroom for quite awhile saying "I want candy. I want candy." And finally it happened! She went potty and earned her first sucker. As soon as she finished her sucker, she said, "I want more candy." I again told her she needed to go pee-pee on the potty to get suckers, so she went right back to the bathroom. In those first 3 hours she earned 8 suckers! The next day we started a sticker chart and the first two full days of potty training this is how many stickers she earned....


We are finally on the road to potty training. She is doing great at going pee-pee. Now we just have to work on some other big things like poop, staying dry all night, and going to the potty when we are out of the house. Yikes, we still have a long way to go!

No comments: