Friday, June 27, 2014

Alyssa's Big Girl Bed

Joel and Alyssa have been growing up so much the last few weeks. They have stopped using high chairs, and are sitting at the big table. They are getting better at using forks and spoons. They are using a few more words. They are going to be 2 in just THREE weeks. And on Wednesday Alyssa moved into a big girl bed! 

Paul has been asking about moving the kids to toddler beds for awhile and I have resisted for a lot of different reasons. Joel and Alyssa are constantly getting into things, making messes, and enjoying life, so the only time that I feel like they are safe is when they are in their cribs. When they are in their cribs, I can relax. Well, sort of. I also use their cribs for timeouts, when they just won't stop doing something I am telling them not to do. 

This week Alyssa started getting her leg stuck in the slats of her crib. Like, really stuck. She would scream. I would start to panic, as I tried to get her leg out and it wouldn't come. I would have visions of getting out the butter or calling the police. And then I would finally get it unstuck. Finally, we had enough of her getting hurt, so we decided to make the switch. The same afternoon I saw a toddler bed on a local facebook group for only $20 and Paul picked it up on his way home from work. Of course, all 3 kids had to test it out and play for a few minutes, and then it was time for bed. 


I was sure she was going to get up a million times before going to sleep. Thankfully, she was super tired from getting her leg stuck during nap time and not sleeping very long. I put her in her bed. She started to get up and Paul told her to lay down. She did. And she stayed there. And went to sleep. It was amazing.


Yesterday I put her down for her nap, and again I was sure she would get up a million times. But she didn't. And bed time last night was fine too. She was running a fever last night and was extra tired.

We will see what happens next. We already have a toddler bed for Joel that is being stored my parents house. I'm not sure when we will make the switch for him. It is kinda nice to just do one kid at a time. 

Now we have to figure out what to do with our cribs. Anybody need one, or two? Oh, and yesterday I tried giving Joel a time out in the spot where Kaitlyn has time out for the first time. I thought for sure he would get up immediately. But he actually stayed there! I couldn't believe it. But as soon as I told him he could get up, Kaitlyn said she wanted a time out too. Oh boy....

No comments: