Monday, June 16, 2014

Essential Oils

The last few weeks I have been a little obsessed with learning about essential oils. I have been reading blogs, watching YouTube videos, reading about products on manufacturers websites. It is very interesting to me. I've been learning about how oils like lavender, peppermint, lemon, and so many others can help with so many different things. People use them to relieve stress and help them sleep, to stop headaches and sore throats, to help with asthma and allergies, to protect their families from getting colds and the flu, as air fresheners and for cleaning. The list goes on and on.

After lots of research I found an a starter kit that I really wanted to buy. It included 11 different essential oils, a diffuser to disperse the oils into the air of your home, a big book explaining how to use the oils, and some other goodies. But the cost of the package held me back, as our family doesn't have a lot of extra money laying around. I really wanted to believe that these oils could help me take care of our family better. It sounded like a super fun new hobby while helping us feel better too!

In the last few days my perspective has changed. I realized that along with the financial cost of buying the oils, there might be something else at stake here too. Do I really want to put my faith in a little box of oils to help me relieve my stress and anxiety? And do I want these oils to be the cure for every cut, headache, and bump in the road for our family?

No, I think right now I need to focus on Jesus as the solution to my stress and anxiety. And I need to pray more for my family instead of running to a new product to solve their problems. I'm not saying that using these oils is wrong, or that I won't ever invest in them. But right now, I'm  going to work harder at letting Jesus meet our needs and teaching my children to look to Him.

No comments: