Monday, January 9, 2012

Cloth Diapers : First 24 hours

Our first set of cloth diapers arrived this weekend and we have now made it through our first 24 hours of cloth diapering! So far it has been really easy.

After washing our new diapers, Kaitlyn tried out her first one for a few hours last night. Here she is in her yellow diaper cover.


After a few hours in her diaper, I was happy to see no leaks! But could it hold her all night? The last few weeks Kaitlyn has really been wet in the mornings, so I was pretty skeptical. Getting ready for bed, I took out the used insert and threw it in our new wet bag and I put two new inserts into the same yellow cover. I also put an extra mattress cover down on the bed just in case. This morning I was pleased to find dry pj's! No leaks! Stuffing two inserts at night had done the trick.

This morning Kaitlyn made a big mess in her diaper, so then it was time to try her green diaper cover. I got to try out the new process of dumping contents into the toilet. In her clean diaper, Kaitlyn showed that she is still flexible, and her new fluff will not slow her down.



Then we were off to the library, our first trip out of the house leaving disposables behind. No problem!

The new diapers are pretty neat. The covers have adjustable snaps to fit babies from 8-35 pounds, and come in lots of cute colors. The inserts seem to be really soft and able to absorb a lot. I had thought I would have to change cloth diapers a lot more often, but so far today I have changed them the same number of times that I did disposable.


This evening I washed my first load of dirty diapers. When they came out of the wash I was happy to see that I couldn't tell which of them had gone in quite a bit more messy than the others. Another win!

This week I have also been trying out using cloth wipes. I made a solution for them using water, baby wash, baby oil, and baby lotion. They are working quite well, and also came out of the wash looking white and clean.

Everything went well today, and all the things I was worried about were not a problem at all. The first 24 hours went much better than I expected!

2 comments:

jessica said...

Cool! I'm glad they're working out for you. Caroline wears Flip diapers too; they're perfect for this age. :-)

Christa Forsythe said...

I do half disposable and half clothe.... I hope you continue to love them! Your little one is not sooo little anymore!!!